Dandenong North Renovation (House No.8)
A project that highlights the level of home improvements which can be achieved with great planning, excellent trades, a tight deadline and clever budgeting.
We were approached to tackle this makeover on a Monday, made all our design choices and locked in Trades by Wednesday, demo began on Thursday and 17 days later, our homeowners moved in!
This classic 80's build had loads of potential, a great floor plan, large square meterage but needed some love - 4 different types of flooring - a combination of original, orange tiles and laminate floors. Multiple window coverings - velvet yellow, blue, brown and lace curtains blocking the natural light. Pendant lights throughout (not the good kind!) Pink wardrobes, a mismatch of fittings and hardware. Peach walls, old feature wall colours and timber trims.
Our challenge - balancing what we could confidently deliver in the timeframe, and the wish list to improve the overall look and feel of this home.
- Design Brief: Modern Heritage
- Start Date: 5th Oct 2023
- End Date: 21st Oct 2023
What we did:
- Removed all the old tiles/laminate flooring, pendants, clutter from walls, old window dressings, wardrobes, door hardware, old skirts and wooden trims.
- Literally EVERYTHING was given a fresh coat of paint and since we couldn't install a new kitchen, we resprayed the existing cupboards/drawers and laundry wall tiles, white.
- Replaced the old black kitchen tile Splashbacks with textured white subways.
- Modified the existing fridge cavity to make room for a new fridge and installed custom open shelving with stone, to create a tea/coffee nook.
- Created a new lighting plan replacing all the old pendants with downlights, installed new switches, feature pendants and upgraded the switchboard
- Installed new Hybrid flooring throughout downstairs area.
- Installed new wool carpet to the formal area.
- Installed new skirting.
- Installed new matte black door hardware.
- Installed new mirrored sliding wardrobes in place of the old pink ones
- Minor plaster and patching.
- Replaced the mismatched window dressings with all new rollers and installed linen s-fold sheers on black rods to the main living areas.
- Builders clean and caulking at the end.
The end result is stunning… This home now celebrates all its charm/character. Feels light/bright (more modern) and our lucky homeowners can enjoy it for years to come!
Massive shoutout to the incredible team of tradies/suppliers who worked insane hours incl. weekends to get us over the line - This wouldn’t have been possible without their hard work/commitment.